Tuesday, May 19, 2009

irony: a play in two parts

Scene: Bet is lying down while I change him. He presses one eyelid half closed with his thumb, then the other, and looks through them at me. I've never seen him do this before.

EEMA: What are you doing?

BET: [with a tiny smile] Now there's two of you.

EEMA: [Ha! You wish.]

EEMA: [Or wait. Is that I wish?]

***

Scene: Aleph has put two stuffed animals in an upturned hat and is sitting on the couch, cradling the hat on his lap.

ALEPH: [happily] I'm holding my babies.

[one minute later]

ALEPH: I got tired of holding my babies. You hold them.

EEMA: [Heh. Tell me about it.]

EEMA: Why don't you just put them down?

ALEPH: Nooooooooooooooo, YOU have to hold them.

EEMA: [Wait. Something about this seems... strangely familiar.]

1 comment:

projgen said...

I babysat for a kid once who went batsh!t when, after telling, er, asking me to hold her "baby", I tried to put the doll down (on her bed! I'm not the babysitter from hell, you know!), after holding her about 15 minutes or so. This kid made me hold that doll all night. Apprently she (the kid) didn't mind that I was holding her (the doll) upside by the foot at one point. *That* apparently, was fine. ;)